Thelma and Louise Updated

Debbie first suggested that we drive to San Francisco...really she did. That was before I tried to explain how much I hate being in a car. I will whine and whine and be a regular pain in the @%#. With both of us born under the sign of Taurus we are both very stubborn and therefore the trip is still on as she refused to take "no" for an answer. We have however revised the itinerary to include Niagara Falls and Maine. I have already started whining about this drive and I will stay connected to the Delta Airlines website just in case. Stay tuned for our adventures as I'm sure you will get a chuckle or two.







Sunday, August 21, 2011

Nuts and Berries








Even though I hate being in the car, there is so much beauty to be seen while driving through Vermont and New Hamshire.  It is miles and miles of beautiful trees and forests so thick I now understand how people get lost in the woods.  Beautiful lakes and babbling brooks and gorgeous cabins nestled in the woods. 

We couldn't wait to get to the coast today and hoped to see the sea like we are used to doing in Florida and in New Jersey as well but it is not like that here.  First we stopped at a state liquor store on the turnpike in New Hamshire and bought some wine...the parking lot was packed and it was Sunday and I couldn't believe it was even open.

We got off I95 and thought we would drive up the coast and stop at a lobster shack for lunch.  We drove forever and did drive through Kennebunkport and it was beautiful but we never found the homes along the water or the lighthouse.  We were getting very hungry and decided to head back towards I95 and follow our directions to Portland but on the way we found a lobster shack and stopped to get a lobster roll.  We didn't know if it was because we were so hungry or because it was really good but we liked it and the onion rings were the best!  Back on the road we get to the Portland Waterfront area to find our hotel is not really on the water.  This area reminds me a lot of Boston.  We checked in and headed down two blocks to the water area where there are shops and restaurants.  It is a working harbor so it was very busy down there.  We looked through a few shops and decided to get something to eat.  It was over overcast and was very black in the distance.   We ordered lobster bisque and clam chowder in a bread bowl and a couple beers and headed out to the patio which was full but we found a table.  About the time our little vibrating lobster let us know our food was ready, the skies opened up and it was a real gulley washer!  We got drenched which included our dinner.  We really didn't finish it because the bread was soaked and we had to hide in the entrance for a good half hour waiting for a break in the pouring rain to make a run back to the hotel.  It got quite chilly and windy with the rain and we were dripping wet so the walk back was quick.  We ordered a whole lobster from the restaurant downstairs and sat on the floor in the room and ate it!  We will leave in the morning to go see the lighthouse and then head towards Foxwoods in Connecticut.  We have traveled 1,536 miles so far and I can't believe that tomorrow we will begin our descent south already.





















I loved this one "Maine Squeeze"
I'm signing off now...until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. MMMM Loved the picture of the soup in the bread bowl. Love that stuff. Can't believe you have put that many miles on the car. I can't stand driving that much also. Rained off and on here today too. Should go quicker for you now as according to the map it's all downhill for you now.
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete